Sunday, July 21, 2013

Weekend Wrap

Whoa, Wait a Minute... The Weekend is Over?

It's Sunday evening and the weekend is winding down yet again, or at least technically it is. Our summer weekends are sort of all off the regular calendar schedule because with his summer class D- only consistently has Monday off. In other news, looking at the calendar this morning I did a double take. I can't believe that July is two-thirds of the way over. Where does the time go and why does summer have to pass so quickly?

Where We Went & What We Did 

Saturday, D- had the whole day off so we took our toddler, the lillebaby carrier, packed a day bag, hopped on a bus and went to the local Raspberry Festival in Lynden, WA. I'm not sure what my husband and I were expecting... raspberries everywhere you turned maybe? Neither of us could quite put our finger on why it didn't live up to our expectations, for some reason it just didn't. And while the festival wasn't quite what we thought it was going to be, we still had a great time and enjoyed strolling through town in the sunshine and the great people watching opportunity it presented. Plus I leaned something new... two-thirds of this nation's raspberries crop - we're talking total production for sale and consumption, are grown approximately 15 miles from my home! No wonder we've had such great berries in the local grocers' lately! We had awesome raspberry ice cream sundaes for $1, discovered a great little local Dutch bakery and that our 18 month old daughter K- loves marzipan and almond sticks, did some window shopping, toured a wonderful community building called the Jansen Art Center, blitzed the car show and were home to have a picnic supper in the park near our house by 4:00pm. All in all not a bad way to spend the day, even if we didn't come home with tons of raspberries like I was hoping we would.
K- Absolutely Enjoying her Almond Stick at the Raspberry Festival!
Sunday was a quite, but productive day for K- and I. D- had to work all day and us girls were on our own. So, after breakfast and my quick workout in which K- helped me with my ab work by crawling on top of me and refused to budge, we completely took apart and cleaned her change table. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while and just haven't gotten around to. We're not quite at the potty training stage, partially because I'm dragging my heels and partially because K- stubbornly doesn't seem to want to, but we're definitely done with the table. She's too long for it and doesn't like being on it. Somewhere around 15-16 months K- decided she'd only let us change her diapers if she was lying on the floor. So that's what we've done. Meanwhile I moved the change table out of her room to use as a temporary toy shelf in the main room. However, I quickly got sick of looking at it, I find it rather ugly when not in K's- room with her crib. Hmmm. So I tore it apart to save space and K- helped me by holding her own hex key and pretending to unscrew the screws. After that we cleaned house; it definitely needed it. Then K- napped while I read! Usually I love to read, but somehow I seem to have fallen into a summer reading slump and just can't seem to motivate myself to pick up a book and start it, much less finish it before I have an email in my inbox from the library with my courtesy "your book is due in 2 days" alert. Maybe it helps that the book I'm currently reading Zoo Time, by Howard Jacobson is wittily humorous, as long as you don't it seriously. Or maybe it's just been a long enough pause in reading for me to enjoy it again, either way I was happy to read for a half an hour in the sunshine this afternoon. We also went to the park, cooked and ate dinner and staked the tomato plants in the garden. Something else I've been meaning to do and just haven't gotten around to doing. Tonight D- and I have plans to finally watch The Hunger Games, I read the books when they first came out and I am curious to see what the movies are like. 

But the best part of today was when I got an exciting email from Krystal at Pressing Pause telling me I'd won her blog's giveaway for an Escape Monthly box! Eeek! Ever since I read about this new subscription box, I've wanted to try it out and now I get too... I literally can't stop grinning from ear to ear! I couldn't be more excited about that and look forward to getting and reviewing it in August. All I know is that the getaway theme for the box launch in August is Escape to Napa, CA. Having been to Napa, I'm super excited to see what all they've included in this box!

What's Ahead: The Week to Come!

  • Dentist appoint tomorrow - boo! I don't know many people who love having dental work done, and I'm definitely not one of them. In fact I typically have severe anxiety (about the only time I ever do) when it even comes to talking about the dentist. But in order to set a good example for my daughter and in an attempt to over come that I'm doing my best to talk about it and get over it! A slow process, but I really like the dentist I'm currently seeing and that helps immensely!
  • My best friend is coming to visit with her little girl this weekend! They'll be arriving on Thursday and staying through the weekend and we can't wait! We're both so excited to make the most of it and have a total girls weekend. Sorry D-. It doesn't happen very often, so thanks for just dealing with it when it does.
  • My Ecocentric Mom box should be arriving sometime next week so a post for that will be sure to follow. I'm excited to see what this one contains as the last one was so awesome.

 And That's a Wrap!

That about does it for us for this week. Hope you enjoyed your weekend and the week ahead doesn't look to grizzly! Enjoy that sunshine and summer weather while it lasts. Autumn will arrive before any of us are really ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment