Thursday, July 25, 2013

First Look! 10 Storks Subscription Box: Month 1 Review

10 Storks: Oh how pretty and so exciting....A healthy start!

Possibly the prettiest subscription box presentation I've yet seen; beautiful done!
Today in my postbox, I had an extra special box from Shoua Kue & the 10 Stork Team and let me just say, it was an awesome package to receive! I've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Month 1 10 Storks box and I'm not even currently pregnant. I can't imagine how much anticipation there would have been for this box if I was currently expecting!

For those of you who don't know, 10 Storks is a new subscription box company for expectant mothers. They offer a regular monthly subscription for consisting of 10 boxes total, 9 are paid for and the 10th box is free for any mom who continues through her 9th month of boxes no matter when she starts her subscription! Each of the 9 regular boxes is $40/month and they will have the option to ship to Canada! For those who aren't interested in or able to commit to a monthly subscription they also offer a 'Best of" box for $60/once that will include some of their best products for mom-to-be throughout her pregnancy. 10 Storks officially launches on August 1st and if you want to be first to know about promotions, boxes and other news sign up for email updates on their website or check them out on facebook. If you want to learn more about the company and what they offer check out my preview post here.

Inside 10 Storks Box: Month 1

The signature silver silver box arrived within a medium flat rate mailer and it was so heavy. The weight of the box is almost always a good sign when it comes to subscription boxes, as it usually means they are full and this one definitely was. When I opened the silver box there was a very cute handwritten note from Shoua and the 10 Stork Team and of course this beautiful packaging. I actually think the presentation is important and this totally feels like you're being given a very special gift just for you. Always a nice feeling and even nicer when you're pregnant!


Now to what everyone's been waiting for. Let's look inside this beautifully wrapped package and see what it holds!

This box was stuffed full of things for mom-to-be to use and enjoy in her first month of pregnancy, and the box was so well packed that I just have to share what it looked like before I took everything out. First look after pulling aside the tissue paper; awesome! I mean pregnant or not, who doesn't love chocolate, right?


Okay, here's a look of all the contents and it's a great selection of goodies for mom-to-be. I'd say the focus of Month 1 is on helping mom-to-be set out on a healthy path as she begins her pregnancy. Even if your pregnancy is planned, learning your pregnant and knowing where to start is often overwhelming. I was inundated with information and important dates when my pregnancy with K- was confirmed. This box gives you the tools and treats you need from the moment you read the positive sign on your home pregnancy test kit!  

 

A Closer Look


Nature Made Prenatal Multivitamins +DHA ($9.10/60 on Amazon). Multivitamins containing folic acid and other key nutrients are recommended for healthy fetal development. This is one of many on the market and one I would consider taking if I were expecting. Plus it has the added benefit of being free from synthetic dyes, color, artificial flavor, preservatives, yeast and gluten. This is definitely a practical addition to the month 1 box.


What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting, Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel. ($11.48 on Amazon). Okay, so other than taking your multivitamin, exercising with your doctor's okay and getting enough sleep, eating well when you're pregnant is a must for a healthy and positive pregnancy. While, I don't necessarily love the "What to Expect" series, and I read plenty of them when I was pregnant with K- along with tons of other pregnancy books, I did get a lot of use out of this one. It not only gives you facts about what's healthy and what foods should be eaten in moderation or avoided altogether when you're expecting, but it has a whole section on cooking while pregnant with 175 recipes. Some of which I still find myself making even though I'm not pregnant. Some of the recipes in this book are just that good and I found all of them really easy. Honestly, I thought this was a great addition to the box! Why not get off to a simple healthy start from day one and it's something every mom-to-be can easily do.

Bare Fruit 100% Organic Apricots ($13.66/3 2.2oz packages on Amazon). Dried apricots are a super healthy and  powerful snack anytime, but especially when you're pregnant and craving something sweet. I kept these, almonds and frozen blueberries on hand throughout my pregnancy with K-. A serving of dried apricots not only gives you a whopping 20% of your Vitamin A intake they also contain, calcium, iron, protein, dietary fiber and vitamin c. They're easy to incorporate into meals and even better to have on hand when the munchies hit and you're looking for a healthy snack that's on the sweet side.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares: Milk & Caramel ($3.99/5.32oz). Even during a healthy pregnancy one needs to indulge every once in awhile and if you're like me chocolate was one of the things I craved early on. Typically, I always choose dark chocolate as dark does have more health benefits, but anything Ghirardelli is divine and these squares are the perfect size for a single serving treat now and then. As a side note, even though I prefer dark chocolate about two months into my pregnancy all I wanted was milk chocolate, so maybe this is just perfect after all? Plus, what would a box for mom-to-be be without a treat or two to indulge and pamper her with? I loved seeing such an iconic product in a box curated in San Francisco as well, it was a nice touch and nod to the box origin location!

Finally, a jump from eating well to looking good and staying organized. Something that seems to get harder as pregnancy progresses, at least the staying organized bit did for me!

Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes and Replenishing Lip Balm ($4.99). Let's face it, these two items are going to come in handy whether you experience the delights of morning sickness or not. If you do, than these are probably going to be your purse's new best friend's for awhile along with either a travel tooth brush or sugar free mints or gum. If you don't, lucky you (hope it stays that way!) then you may just find yourself using them for their normal intent. Either way Burt's Bees products are 99.1% natural, making them a great choice for those who are pregnant. I regularly use this lip balm and love it, it smells great and works wonders.


PlanAhead Mom's Organizer July 2013-December 2014 ($14.99 on Amazon). In the age of "everything digital" I still like to make lists and write things down. I love having all my thoughts, notes, contacts and important dates all in one place. This little book does that and more. It's an 18 month planner with both monthly and weekly options. It has a pull out contact section, a small photo holder, a section for notes/lists and a special resource section including places for vacation ideas/planning, party planning and expenses. I love research and I took notes as doctor's appointments and while I was out shopping or doing other things and was constantly having to transfer them from whatever I wrote on to my book at home when I finally got there. This book will easily fit in your day bag or large purse and as pregnancy brain hits, you'll be glad you have the handy reference you've created! 

 

Final Thoughts on 10 Storks: Month 1?

I loved it! Based on the first box, this is a subscription box I would love to receive as a gift or I would purchase for myself for the duration of my pregnancy. It's definitely something I will keep in mind for when my husband and I are ready and are expecting our second child! From a usability stand point, I loved that everything in the box was helpful and usable right away.  It's very obvious that this box was curated with a lot of thought and care for a positive and healthy pregnancy and that it's both practical and indulgent all at the same time. I also love that the edible treats in the box are from California and that the Ghirardelli Chocolate is from San Fransisco as is 10 Storks. It's a very well balanced box and all told it has a $58.21 value for only $40 shipping is free within the US (shipping on my box alone was $12.35) shipping to Canada is possible but there will be an additional cost associated. For more info, or to sign up for your box on August 1, 2013 when 10 Storks officially launches, visit http://10storks.com/ and don't forget to check them out on facebook as they'll be revealing sneak peaks and more prior to the big day!


This box was provided to me by Shoua Kue and the 10 Storks Team free of charge for the purpose of this review. No other compensation was received. All thoughts, opinions and photos in this post are my own and as always they're 100% honest!
  

1 comment:

  1. Ηurrah! After all Ӏ got a weblog frоm where І bе сapable of aсtually takе helρful facts conсегning mу study and knowledge.


    Alѕo visіt my blog post: Jenny

    ReplyDelete